Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Back When

I would like to mention a few things, bet you didn’t know
To mention some old ghost towns that maps no longer show
I wonder how they got their names and search my curious brain
Have you heard of Wobbly Bobbly, that crazy little train?

Think about the old towns that have long been gone
Goat Head, Crocodile and Dog Town, Bet you heard them in a song
There is Cut N’ Shoot, Turkey, Goat Neck and the little town of Clay
Chalk Bluff, Jaw Bone and Jack Ass Flats down south Texas way.

Nemo, Bono, Rainbow, Gun Barrel City and don’t forget Chew
Minters Spring, Dripping Springs and Cat Springs too
Indian Prairie, Blanket, Big Lump, Mule Shoe is still there
Gay Hill, Dime Box and don’t forget Pear.

There is Salt Gap, Fly Gap and regular old Fly
Honey Grove, China Grove and don’t forget Fry
Peach Creek, Big Creek, Cedar Creek and Yellow Prairie Too
Lobo, Black Ankle, Catfish and a little town called Blue.

I know there are lots more names like Stone City, Sand Flat and Chalk Bluff
But at this point I think you’ve read enough
Remembering those little towns was just like playing games
I just have to tell you that Bug Tussle and Frog Knott are my favorite names.

No comments:

Post a Comment